This post consists more than 100 questions from Communication from previous years UGC NET papers. this will help you to understand the pattern of questions comes under this section. Generally 5 out 50 questions comes from Communication. New syllabus issued by the NTA is given in this post. this post also highlight the questions from each years. try to solve the questions.
Best of luck for your NTA UGC NET preparation.
Communication ( 5 Questions out of 50)
Questions from Paper1 2016 to 2006 old papers.
Communication: Meaning, types and characteristics of communication.
Effective communication: Verbal and Non-verbal, Inter-Cultural and group
communications, Classroom communication.
Barriers to effective communication.
Mass-Media and Society.
- Imagine you are working in an educational institution where people are of equal status. Which method of communication is best suited and normally employed in such a context ?
1) Horizontal communication
(2) Vertical communication
(3) Corporate communication
(4) Cross communication
- Identify the important element a teacher has to take cognizance of while addressing students in a classroom.
(1) Avoidance of proximity
2) Voice modulation
(3) Repetitive pause
(4) Fixed posture
- What are the barriers to effective communication ?
1) Moralising, being judgemental and comments of consolation.
(2) Dialogue, summary and self-review.
(3) Use of simple words, cool reaction and defensive attitude.
(4) Personal statements, eye contact and simple narration.
- The choice of communication partners is influenced by factors of
1) Proximity, utility, loneliness
(2) Utility, secrecy, dissonance
(3) Secrecy, dissonance, deception
(4) Dissimilarity, dissonance, deviance
- As a teacher, select the best option to ensure your effective presence in the classroom.
(1) Use of peer command
(2) Making aggressive statements
3) Adoption of well-established posture
(4) Being authoritarian
- Every communicator has to experience
(1) Manipulated emotions
2) Anticipatory excitement
(3) The issue of homophiles
(4) Status dislocation
- The main objectives of student evaluation of teachers are :
(a) To gather information about student weaknc
(b) To make teachers take teaching seriously.
(c) To help teachers adopt innovative methods of leaching.
(d) To identify the areas of further improvement in teacher traits.
Identify the correct answer from the codes given below :
(1) (a) and (b) only (2) (b), (c) and (d) only
3) (a), (b) and (c) only (4) (a) only
- Using the central point of the classroom communication as the beginning of a dynamic pattern of ideas is referred to as :
(1) Systemisation (2) Problem – orientation
(3) Idea protocol 4) Mind mapping
- Aspects of the voice, other than the speech are known as :
(1) Physical language (2) Personal language
3) Para language (4) Delivery language
- Every type of communication is affected by its :
(1) Reception (2) Transmission (3) Non-regulation 4) Context
- Attitudes, actions and appearances in the context of classroom communication are considered as :
(1) Verbal 2) Non-verbal (3) Impersonal (4) Irrational
- Most often, the teacher – student communication is :
(1) Spurious (2) Critical 3) Utilitarian (4) Confrontational
- In a classroom, a communicator’s trust level is determined by :
(1) the use of hyperbole (2) the change of voice level
(3) the use of abstract concepts 4) eye contact
- Effectiveness of communication can be traced from which of the following ?
(a) Attitude surveys
(b) Performance records
(c) Students attendance
(d) Selection of communication channel
Select the correct answer from the codes given below:
(1) (a), (b), (c) and (d)
2) (a), (b) and (c)
(3) (b), (c) and (d)
(4) (a), (b) and (d)
- Assertion (A) : Formal communication tends to be fast and flexible.
Reason (R) : Formal communication is a systematic and orderly flow of information.
(1) Both (A) and (R) are correct and (R) is correct explanation of (A)
(2) Both (A) and (R) are correct, but (R) is not correct explanation of (A)
(3) (A) is correct but, (R) is false
4) (A) is false but, (R) is correct
- Which of the following are the characteristic features of communication ?
(a) Communication involves exchange of ideas, facts and opinions.
(b) Communication involves both information and understanding.
(c) Communication is a continuous process.
(d) Communication is a circular process.
Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
(1) (a), (b) and (c)
(2) (a), (b) and (d)
(3) (b), (c) and (d)
4) (a), (b), (c) and (d)
- The term ‘grapevine’ is also known as :
(1) Downward communication
2) Informal communication
(3) Upward communication
(4) Horizontal communication
- Which of the following is not a principle of effective communication ?
(1) Persuasive and convincing dialogue
(2) Participation of the audience
3) One-way transfer of information
(4) Strategic use of grapevine
- In communication, the language is :
(1) The verbal code (2) Intrapersonal
(3) The symbolic code (4) The non-verbal code
- When academicians are called to deliver lecture or presentation to an audience on certain topics or a set of topics of educational nature, it is called
(A) Training Program B) Seminar
(C) Workshop (D) Symposium
- Media is known as
(A) First Estate (C) Third Estate
(B) Second Estate D) Fourth Estate
- The mode of communication that involves a single source transmitting information to a large number of receivers simultaneously, is called
(A) Group Communication
B) Mass Communication
(C) Intrapersonal Communication
(D) Interpersonal Communication
- A smart classroom is a teaching space which has
(i) Smart portion with a touch panel control system.
(ii) PC/Laptop connection and DVD/VCR player.
(iii) Document camera and specialized software
(iv) Projector and screen Select the correct answer from the codes given below :
(A) (i) and (ii) only
(B) (ii) and (iv) only
(C) (i). (ii) and (iii) only
- The term ‘Yellow Journalism’ refers to
(A) sensational news about terrorism and violence
B) sensationalism and exaggeration to attract readers / viewers.
(C) sensational news about arts and culture
(D) sensational news prints in yellow paper.
- In the classroom, the teacher sends the message either as words or images. The students are really
(A) Encoders (B) Decoders
(C) Agitators (D) Propagators
- The next term in the series :
AB, ED, IH, NM, is
A) TS (B) ST
(C) TU (D) SU
- In circular communication, the encoder becomes a decoder when there is
- Break-down in verbal communication is described as
(A) Short circuit
- The Telephone Model of Communication was first developed in the area of
(A) Technological theory
(B) Dispersion theory
(C) Minimal effects theory
- Users who use media for their own ends are identified as
(A) Passive audience
B) Active audience
(C) Positive audience
(D) Negative audience
- Classroom communication can be described as
- Ideological codes shape our collective
- In communication, myths but are have power
- The first multi- lingual news agency of India was
C) Hindustan Samachar
(D) Samachar Bharati
32.Organisational communication can also be equated with
(A) intra-personal communication.
(B) inter-personal communication.
C) group communication.
(D) mass communication.
- In the process of Communication, which one Of the following is in the chronological order ?
(A) Communication, Medium, Receiver, Effect, Message
(B) Medium, Communicator, Message, Receiver, Effect
C) Communicator, Message, Medium, Receiver, Effect
(D) Message, Communicator, Medium, Receiver, Effect
- Communication via New media such as computers, teleshopping, internet and mobile telephony is termed as
B) Interactive Communication
(C) Development Communication
- Classroom communication of a teacher rest on the principle of
- ________ is important when a teacher communicates with his / her student
- Classroom communication must be
(A) Teacher centric
B) Student centric
(C) General centric
(D) Textbook centric
- The best method of teaching is to
(A) impart information
(B) ask students to read books
(C) suggest good reference material
D) initiate a discussion and participate in it
- Interaction inside the classroom should generate
- “Spare the rod and spoil the child”, gives the message that
(A) punishment in the class should be banned.
(B) corporal punishment is not acceptable.
C) undesirable behaviour must be punished.
(D) children should be beaten with rods.
- The type of communication that the teacher has in the classroom, is termed as
(B) Mass communication
C) Group communication
(D) Face-to-face communication
- Video-Conferencing can be classified as one of the following types of communication
(A) Visual one way
(B) Audio-Visual one way
C) Audio-Visual two way
(D) Visual two way
- MC National University of Journalism and Communication is located at
(A) Lucknow B) Bhopal (C) Chennai (D) Mumbai
- All India Radio (A.I.R.) for broadcasting was named in the year
(A) 1926B) 1936(C) 1946 (D) 1956
- In India for broadcasting TV programmes which system is followed?
(A) NTCS B) PAL(C) NTSE (D) SECAM
- The term ‘DAVP’ stands for
(A) Directorate of Advertising & Vocal Publicity
(B) Division of Audio-Visual Publicity
(C) Department of Audio-Visual Publicity
D) Directorate of Advertising & Visual Publicity
- The term “TRP” is associated with TV shows stands for
A) Total Rating Points
(B) Time Rating Points
(C) Thematic Rating Points
(D) Television Rating Points
- Photo bleeding means
(A) Photo cropping
(B) Photo placement
(C) Photo cutting
D) Photo colour adjustment
- While designing communication strategy feed-forward studies are conducted by
- In which language the newspapers have highest circulation ?
(A) English B) Hindi(C) Bengali (D) Tamil
- Aspect ratio of TV Screen is
A) 4 : 3(B) 3 : 4 (C) 2 : 3 (D) 2 : 4
- Communication with oneself is known as
(A) Organisational Communication
(B) Grapewine Communication
(C) Interpersonal Communication
D) Intrapersonal Communication
- The term ‘SITE’ stands for
(A) Satellite Indian Television Experiment
(B) Satellite International Television Experiment
C) Satellite Instructional Television Experiment
(D) Satellite Instructional Teachers Education
- Public communication tends to occur within a more
(A) complex structure
(B) political structure
(C) convenient structure
D) formal structure
- Transforming thoughts, ideas and messages into verbal and non-verbal signs is referred to as
- Effective communication needs a supportive
(A) economic environment
(B) political environment
C) social environment
(D) multi-cultural environment
- A major barrier in the transmission of cognitive data in the process of communication is an individual’s
(A) personality (B) expectation (C) social status D) coding ability
- When communicated, institutionalized stereotypes become
(A) myths (B) reasons (C) experiences D) convictions
- In mass communication, selective perception is dependent on the receiver’s
(A) competence (B) pre-disposition C) receptivity(D) ethnicity
- Media that exist in an interconnected series of communication – points are referred to as
A) Networked media(B) Connective media (C) Nodal media (D) Multimedia
- The information function of mass communication is described as
(A) diffusion (B) publicity C) surveillance(D) diversion
- An example of asynchronous medium is
(A) Radio (B) Television (C) Film D) Newspaper
- In communication, connotative words are
(A) explicit (B) abstract (C) simple D) cultural
- A message beneath a message is labelled as
(A) embedded text (B) internal text (C) inter-text D) sub-text
- In analog mass communication, stories are
A) static(B) dynamic (C) interactive (D) exploratory
- In communication, a major barrier to reception of messages is
A) audience attitude
(B) audience knowledge
(C) audience education
(D) audience income
- Post-modernism is associated with
- Didactic communication is
- In communication, the language is
(A) the non-verbal code
(B) the verbal code
(C) the symbolic code
(D) the iconic code
- Identify the correct sequence of the following :
(A) Source, channel, message, receiver
(B) Source, receiver, channel, message
(C) Source, message, receiver, channel
D) Source, message, channel, receiver
- The chronological order of non-verbal communication is
A) Signs, symbols, codes, colours
(B) Symbols, codes, signs, colours
(C) Colours, signs, codes, symbols
(D) Codes, colours, symbols, signs
- Which of the following statements is not connected with communication ?
(A) Medium is the message.
(B) The world is an electronic cocoon.
(C) Information is power.
D) Telepathy is technological.
- Communication becomes circular when
A) the decoder becomes an encoder
(B) the feedback is absent
(C) the source is credible
(D) the channel is clear
- Which one of the following Telephonic Conferencing with a radio link is very popular throughout the world ?
(A) TPS (B) Telepresence
C) Video conference(D) Video teletext
- Which is not 24 hours news channel ?
(A) NDTV24x7 (B) ZEE News
(C) Aajtak D) Lok Sabha channel
- The main objective of F.M. station in radio is :
(A) Information, Entertainment and Tourism
B) Entertainment, Information and Interaction
(C) Tourism, Interaction and Entertainment
(D) Entertainment only
- In communication chatting in internet is :
(A) Verbal communication (B) Non verbal communication
C) Parallel communication(D) Grapevine communication
- Community Radio is a type of radio service that caters to the interest of :
A) Local audience (B) Education
(C) Entertainment (D) News
- Orcut is a part of:
(A) Intra personal Communication
(B) Mass Communication
(C) Group Communication
D) Interpersonal Communication
- Match List-I with List-II and select the correct answer using the codes given below :
List-I List – II
(a) Amrita Shergill (i) Flute
(b) T. Swaminathan Pillai (ii) Classical Song
(c) Bhimsenjoshi (iii) Painting
(d) Padma Subramaniyam (iv) Bharat Natyam
(a) (b) (c) (d)
A) (iii) (i) (ii) (iv)
(B) (ii) (iii) (i) (iv)
(C) (iv) (ii) (iii) (i)
(D) (i) (iv) (ii) (iii)
- Which is not correct in latest communication award ?
(A) Salman Rushdie – Booker’s Prize – July 20, 2008
(B) Dilip Sanghavi – Business Standard CEO Award July 22, 2008
(C) Tapan Sinha – Dada Saheb Falke Award, July 21, 2008
D) Gautam Ghosh – Osians Lifetime Achievement Award July 11, 2008
- Communication with oneself is known as :
(A) Group communication
(B) Grapevine communication
(C) Interpersonal communication
D) Intrapersonal communication
- Which broadcasting system for TV is followed in India ?
(A) NTSE B) PAL
(C) SECAM (D) NTCS
- All India Radio before 1936 was known as :
(A) Indian Radio Broadcasting
(B) Broadcasting Service of India
C) Indian Broadcasting Service
(D) All India Broadcasting Service
- The biggest news agency of India is :
A) PTI (B) UNI
(C) NANAP (D) Samachar Bharati
- Prasar Bharati was launched in the year :
(A) 1995 B) 1997 (C) 1999 (D) 2001
- The first Indian Satellite for serving the educational sector is known as :
(A) SATEDU (B) INSAT – B
C) EDUSAT (D) INSAT-C
- Exclusive educational channel of IGNOU is known as :
A) GyanDarshan (B) Cyan Vani
(C) DoorDarshan (D) Prasar Bharati
- The head quarter of Mahatma Gandhi Antarrashtriya Hindi Vishwavidyalaya is situated in:
(A) Sevagram (B) New Delhi
C) Wardha (D) Ahmedabad
- Match List – I with List – II and select the correct answer using the codes given below :
(a) Central Institute of English (i) Chitrakoot and Foreign Languages
(b) Gramodaya Vishwavidyalaya (ii) Hyderabad
(c) Central Institute of Higher Tibetan Studies (iii) New Delhi
(d) IGNOU (iv) Dharmasala
(a) (b) (c) (d)
A) (ii) (i) (iv) (iii)
(B) (iv) (iii) (ii) (i)
(C) (iii) (iv) (i) (ii)
(D) (i) (ii) (iv) (iii)
- The aim of vocationalization of education is :
(A) preparing students for a vocation along with knowledge
(B) converting liberal education into vocational education
(C) giving more importance to vocational than general education
D) making liberal education job-oriented
- Press Council of India is located at :
(A) Chennai (B) Mumbai
(C) Kolkata D) Delhi
- Adjusting the photo for publication by cutting is technically known as :
(A) Photo cutting (B) Photo bleeding
C) Photo cropping (D) Photo adjustment
- Feed-back of a message comes from:
(A) Satellite (B) Media
C) Audience (D) Communicator
- Collection of information in advance before designing communication strategy is known as:
(A) Feed-back (B) Feed-forward
(C) Research study D) Opinion poll
- The aspect ratio of TV screen is:
A) 4:3 (B) 4:2
(C) 3:5 (D) 2:3
- Which one of the following can be termed as verbal communication?
(A) Prof. Sharma delivered the lecture in the class room.
(B) Signal at the cross-road changed from green to orange.
(C) The child was crying to attract the attention of the mother.
(D) Dipak wrote a letter for leave application.
- Which is the 24 hours English Business news channel in India ?
(A) Zee News (B) NDTV 24×7
C) CNBC (D) India News
- Consider the following statements in communication :
(i) Hema Malini is the Chairperson of the Children’s Film Society, India.
(ii) Yash Chopra is the Chairman of the Central Board of Film Certification of India.
(iii) Sharmila Tagore is the Chairperson of National Film Development Corporation.
(iv) Dilip Kumar, Raj Kapoor and Preeti Zinta have all been recipients of Dada Saheb Phalke Award.
Which of the statements given above is/are correct ?
(A) (i) and (iii) (B) (ii) and (iii) (C) (iv) only (D) (iii) only
- Which of the following pair is not correctly matched ?
(A) N. Ram : The Hindu
B) Barkha Dutt : Zee News
(C) Pranay Roy : NDTV 24×7
(D) Prabhu Chawla : Aaj taak
- “Because you deserve to know” is the punchline used by :
(A) The Times of India (B) The Hindu
(C) Indian Express D) Hindustan Times
- The function of mass communication of supplying information regarding the processes, issues, events and societal developments is known as :
A) content supply(B) surveillance
(C) gratification (D) correlation
- The science of the study of feedback systems in humans, animals and machines is known as:
A) cybernetics(B) reverse communication
(C) selectivity study (D) response analysis
- Networked media exist in inter-connected:
(A) social environments
(B) economic environments
(C) political environments
D) technological environments
- The combination of computing, telecommunications and media in a digital atmosphere is referred to as:
(A) online communication (B) integrated media
(C) digital combine D) convergence
- A dialogue between a human-being and a computer programme that occurs simultaneously in various forms is described as:
(A) man-machine speak (B) binary chat
(C) digital talk D) interactivity
feel free to post your demand for UGC NET.